Friday, November 10, 2006

I stumbled across The Lady's Dressing Room in our Norton Anthology in a separate section from the other Swift pieces. Apparently those tricky bastards at Norton want English instructors to have to find it elswhere and then have some snotty brat like me point it out in class. I can't wait. I found The Lady's Dressing Room pertinent on a social and personal level. The problem of the treatment of women as divinely beautiful and inhuman beings pervades in both society and my relationship with my girlfriend. No, I have not discovered disgusting odors produced by her body. But I have encountered issues similar to what Swift is dealing with in this piece.
The problem with defining all women as a heavenly Celia is that they are human beings. As Swift so elegantly points out they sweat, have ear wax, and defecate. He is openly mocking the sentiment behind the...pedestal. As stated in the headnote about Swift he had several love interests and therefore did not dislike women. His vehemence is not directed at women in general, but rather anyone who buys into the women are perfectly divine doctrine, be it man or woman. It is my belief, and I feel Swift was suggesting this, that it is a dishonor and slight to the woman you are overpraising. They are not delicate, heavenly Celias; they are breathing, sweatting, shitting human beings. And the only way to respect them is as such.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home